Deschutes Fresh Squeezed IPA is just killing it via keg. In the IPA category of draft beer, Deschutes Brewery’s awesome IPA brand has grown 87.7 percent over the last year, according to a first-of-its-kind report released by BeerBoard. BeerBoard monitors more than 50,000 draft lines on a constant basis and then uses that info to generate a delicious amount of data. For its 2016 September report, BeerBoard selected 400 of its client locations. Then, the company used that sample set to compare the first six months of 2015 to the same period in 2016.
We’re pretty sure that sounds like science. Check out some of these data bombs:
- Lagunitas IPA is the No. 1 IPA poured on draft, growing by 39.7 percent in 2016
- Pale ales were down a total of 22 percent as a style group
- In the category of American Ales, Firestone Walker 805 Golden Ale grew a whopping 123 percent in 2016
- In the category of Amber/Red Ales, Negra Modelo grew by an insane 700 percent year over year. The category leader Dos Equis was down 6 percent.
- Light lagers account for 41 percent share of brand volume, but that’s down a total volume of 3.2 percent from 2015
The whole report is filled with equally interesting factoids. We suggest you read it right over here. One thing is clear: America drinks a buttload of beer. From the press release:
“The time was right for this first release of our insights, given the rich data set BeerBoard has established based on the number of clients and the 50,000-plus draft lines we monitor,” said Mark Young, Founder and CEO of BeerBoard. “We will continue to evolve and refine this report and build out a sample set representative of the entire on-premise market. One thing is clear from this report: America loves its beer and it is being poured in incredible volume.”
The info gathering process
BeerBoard monitors over 50,000 draft lines and 35,000 products through its Integrated Beer Management and Guest Display System. Installed at thousands of client locations, its services include SmartBar, which generates pour data and trend-driven analytics, BeerBoard Display, a digital consumer-facing menu display, BeerBoard Menu, automated print and website menus, and a consumer mobile application.