Great Lakes Brewing Co. has been producing some of Ohio’s best beer for three plus decades. The Cleveland-based craft brewery ranked No. 19 on the Brewers Association’s list of the top 50 biggest craft breweries in America in 2021 by sales volume, yet the brand ranks No. 1 for a lot of folks in northeast Ohio — where its Dortmunder Gold Lager, Hazecraft IPA and Christmas Ale are required drinking.
Great Lakes has a rich history in CLE+. Founded in 1988 by brothers Patrick and Daniel Conway and employee owned since 2018, the company appears ready to add to that legacy with big plans and big brands in the near future. Great Lakes Brewing just released the excellent “Committed to the Craft” video (embedded above) on its YouTube page, which celebrates its 35 years in business but also sets the tone for future new beverages, celebratory releases and community outreach. Great Lakes currently serves 14 states and Washington, D.C., with its award-winning craft beer, and throughout 2023 there will be a lot of GLBC beer news spread throughout that network that will nod to its continued commitment to the craft market. Just watch the video above, and then check out GLBC’s 2023 beer release calendar below.
Introducing Vibacious Double IPA
GLBC’s first year-round Double IPA releases to all markets in March in 12-oz can six-packs, 19.2-oz cans and draft. Vibacious is a remarkably smooth 9 percent double IPA brewed with a blend of Apollo, Cashmere and Citra hops for bright and bold aroma and flavor. Its low bitterness and big, expressive flavor make it a unique hop-forward offering in GLBC’s year-round portfolio. Vibacious made its draft debut at the Great Lakes Experience at Cleveland’s Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse in fall, 2022, and is the brewery’s first 19.2-oz can release.
Hop Madness IPA Variety Pack
Also releasing in March is the brand-new Hop Madness IPA Variety Pack, a 12-can Variety Pack comprising a mix of favorite, new and rotating IPAs. Each pack includes the new Vibacious Double IPA, TropiCoastal Tropical IPA, Hazecraft IPA and a Small Batch Rotator IPA exclusive to the Hop Madness Variety Pack.
Four new seasonal brands in cans
GLBC continues to innovate and experiment with its seasonal portfolio beginning in March with the release of Kickaround POG Tart, a lightly tart ale brewed with passion fruit, orange and guava. Watermelon Crushworthy Lo-Cal Melon Wheat, a favorite from 2022’s Crushworthy Collection Variety Pack, comes to six-pack cans and draft for a limited time in May. In September, former year-round Crushworthy Lo-Cal Citrus Wheat passes the baton to the new Cranberry Orange Wheat, a harvest-inspired wheat ale that can be found on shelves through April, 2024, when Crushworthy makes its spring return. In October, GLBC introduces Cookie Exchange Milk Stout featuring an annually rotating cookie flavor, just in time for the holiday season. In addition to GLBC’s seasonal lineup, a new Imperial IPA will join the Imperial IPA Series in November, 2023.
SunSail Hard Teas
GLBC sails beyond beer with the launch of SunSail Hard Tea, a craft hard tea releasing in April 2023. The original SunSail, crafted with a hint of lemon, debuts in 12-oz can six-packs and 19.2-oz cans alongside a Peach variety, available in 12-oz can six-packs. Both SunSail varieties will be available year round.
35th anniversary special releases
In celebration of its milestone 35th year, GLBC is giving special treatment to its two original brands. Dortmunder Gold Lager bottles will release in retro packaging for a limited time beginning in August, and an Imperial Amber inspired by Eliot Ness Amber Lager will hit Bottle four-packs and draft for a limited time in September.
Great Lakes Brewing Co. 2023 release calendar
- Vibacious Double IPA (NEW! 6-Pack Can, 19.2 oz. Can, Draft)
- TropiCoastal Tropical IPA (6-Pack Can, 12-Pack Can, Draft)
- Hazecraft IPA (6-Pack Can, 12-Pack Can, 16 oz. Can, Draft)
- Crushworthy Lo-Cal Citrus Wheat (6-Pack Can, 15-Pack Can, 16 oz. Can, Draft; available through Aug.)
- Cranberry Orange Wheat (NEW! Releasing Sept.; 6-Pack Can, 15-Pack Can, Draft)
- Great Lakes IPA (6-Pack Can, 12-Pack Can, Draft)
- Dortmunder Gold Lager (6-Pack Bottle, 12-Pack Bottle, 16 oz. Can, 6-Pack Can, 15-Pack Can, Draft)
- Eliot Ness Amber Lager (6-Pack Bottle, Draft)
- Commodore Perry IPA (6-Pack Bottle, 12-Pack Can, Draft)
- Edmund Fitzgerald Porter (6-Pack Bottle, 12-Pack Bottle, Draft)
- SunSail Hard Tea (NEW! 6-Pack Can, 19.2 oz. Can)
- SunSail Peach Hard Tea (NEW! 6-Pack Can)
- JAN: Conway’s Irish Ale (6-Pack Bottle, 12-Pack Bottle, 12-Pack Can, Draft)
- FEB: Chillwave Imperial IPA (Imperial IPA Series 16 oz. Can 4-Pack, Draft)
- MAR: Kickaround POG Tart (NEW! 6-Pack Can, 12-Pack Can, Draft)
- APR: Lake Erie Monster Imperial IPA (Imperial IPA Series 16 oz. Can 4-Pack, Draft)
- MAY: Watermelon Crushworthy Lo-Cal Melon Wheat (NEW! 6-Pack Can, Draft)
- MAY: Mexican Lager with Lime (6-Pack Can, 12-Pack Can, Draft)
- JUN: Ruby’s Revenge Imperial Grapefruit IPA (Imperial IPA Series 16 oz. Can 4-Pack, Draft)
- AUG: Oktoberfest (6-Pack Bottle, 12-Pack Bottle, 12-Pack Can, Draft)
- AUG: Nosferatu Imperial Red IPA (Imperial IPA Series 16 oz. Can 4-Pack, Draft)
- SEP: 35th Anniversary Imperial Amber (LIMITED! 4-Pack Bottle, Draft)
- OCT: Cookie Exchange Milk Stout (NEW! 6-Pack Can, 12-Pack Can, Draft)
- OCT: Christmas Ale (6-Pack Bottle, 12-Pack Bottle, 19.2 oz. Can, 6-Pack Can, 12-Pack Can, Draft)
- NOV: Imperial IPA (NEW! Details coming soon. Imperial IPA Series 16 oz. Can 4-Pack, Draft)
- Hop Madness IPA 12-Can Variety Pack (NEW! Featuring Vibacious Double IPA, TropiCoastal Tropical IPA, Hazecraft IPA, Small Batch Rotator IPA)
- GLBC 12-Pack Bottle Variety Pack (Dortmunder Gold Lager, Eliot Ness Amber Lager, Commodore Perry IPA, Edmund Fitzgerald Porter)
- Gimme Five! 15-Pack Can Variety Pack — (NEW: more seasonal variety!) (Featuring Dortmunder Gold Lager, TropiCoastal Tropical IPA, Hazecraft IPA, and introducing a rotating selection: Jan–Apr: Burning River Pale Ale & Crushworthy Lo-Cal Citrus Wheat; May–Aug: Watermelon Crushworthy & Mexican Lager with Lime; Sept–Dec: Cranberry Orange Wheat & Edmund Fitzgerald Porter)