The Brewers Association — the not-for-profit trade association dedicated to small and independent American brewers — announced its 2022 board of directors, with five new representatives to the 21-person board. Garrett Marrero, CEO and co-founder of Maui Brewing Company (Kihei, Hawaii), begins his term as board chair. Marrero has served on the board since 2016 and replaces Dan Kleban, co-founder, Maine Beer Company (Freeport, Maine) as chair. Kleban will continue to serve on the board as a Packaging Breweries representative and on the executive committee as past chair.
New board member Holly Redding, managing member, Winchester Brew Works (Winchester, Va.) becomes the third representative elected to the Taproom Brewers class created in 2019. New board member Jason Lavery, president/founding brewer, Lavery Brewing Company (Erie, Pa), along with incumbent Leah Cheston, owner, Right Proper Brewing Company (Washington, D.C.), were elected as Pub Brewers representatives. New board member Tomme Arthur, co-founder, Port Brewing and The Lost Abbey (San Marcos, Calif.) and incumbent Marrero were elected as Packaging Breweries representatives. The incoming directors will each serve a three-year term.
Pamela Brulotte, founder, Icicle Brewing, München Haus Bavarian Grill and Beer Garden (Leavenworth, Wash.), Peter Skrbek, CEO, Deschutes Brewery (Bend, Ore.), and Fred Matt, president, Saranac Brewery/Matt Brewing Co. (Utica, N.Y.) were appointed by the board to fill three at-large representative seats and will each serve a two-year term. Additionally, the American Homebrewers Association (AHA) Governing Committee appointed Cassie Salinas of Everett, Wash., to fill one of its two seats on the Brewers Association board. Salinas will serve a three-year term.
“Despite an ongoing pandemic, and being impacted by a crushed supply chain, severe weather, labor shortages, manufacturing delays, and more Craft Brewers have taken the challenges head on. We live in interesting times.” said Marrero. “Change can be scary but creates vast opportunities, and it is my honor to serve alongside my colleagues and the BA staff to help the craft brewing community do what it does best: navigate, innovate, and flourish.”
Marrero thanked outgoing board members Leslie Henderson, Lazy Magnolia Brewing Co. (Kiln, Miss.), Larry Horwitz, TEN20 Craft Brewery (Louisville, Ky.), Jose Mallea, Biscayne Bay Brewing (Miami, Fla.) and Jill Marilley, AHA appointee (Everett, Wash.) for their collective 17 years of leadership, dedication, and service. “While we say Aloha to our departing board members, I look forward to getting to work with the new members of the board,” he said.
The 2022 Brewers Association Board of Directors is composed of the following members:
(*Indicates new to board in 2022)
- Chair – Garrett Marrero, Maui Brewing Co., Kihei, Hawaii
- Vice Chair – Leah Cheston, Right Proper Brewing Co., Washington, D.C.
- Secretary/Treasurer – Peter Skrbek, Deschutes Brewery, Bend, Ore.
- Past Chair – Dan Kleban, Maine Beer Company, Freeport, Maine
- Brewers Association President & CEO – Bob Pease
Packaging Brewers Representative Board Members
- *Tomme Arthur, Port Brewing and The Lost Abbey, San Marcos, Calif.
- Chris Herron, Creature Comforts Brewing Company, Athens, Ga.
- Dan Kleban, Maine Beer Co., Freeport, Maine
- Garrett Marrero, Maui Brewing Co., Kihei, Hawaii
- Virginia Morrison, Second Chance Beer Company, San Diego, Calif.
- Sara Nelson, Fremont Brewing Co., Seattle, Wash.
- Jason Perkins, Allagash Brewing Co., Portland, Maine
Pub Brewers Representative Board Members
- Marcus Baskerville, Weathered Souls Brewing Co., San Antonio, Texas
- Leah Cheston, Right Proper Brewing Co., Washington, D.C.
- *Jason Lavery, Lavery Brewing Company, Erie, Pa.
- Kris Spaulding, Brewery Vivant, Grand Rapids, Mich.
Taproom Brewers Representative Board Members
- Betty Bollas, Fibonacci Brewing Co., Cincinnati, Ohio
- *Holly Redding, Winchester Brew Works, Winchester, Va.
- Melissa Romano, Lake Anne Brewhouse, Reston Va.
At-Large Board Members
- Tim Brady, Whetstone Station Restaurant & Brewery, Brattleboro, Vt.
- *Pamela Brulotte, Icicle Brewing Co. Leavenworth, Wash.
- Colby Cox, Roadhouse Brewing Co., Jackson, Wyo.
- Fred Matt, Saranac Brewery/Matt Brewing Company, Utica, N.Y.
- Peter Skrbek, Deschutes Brewery, Bend, Ore.
American Homebrewers Association Representative Board Members
- *Cassie Salinas, Seattle, Wash.
- Roxanne Westendorf, Cincinnati, Ohio
- AHA Governing – Jill Marilley
- Brewpubs – Tim Brady & Kris Spaulding
- Diversity, Equity & Inclusion – Virginia Morrison
- Events – Tim Brady
- Executive – Garrett Marrero
- Finance – Peter Skrbek
- Governance – Roxanne Westendorf
- Government Affairs – Garrett Marrero
- Market Development – Fred Matt
- Public Relations & Marketing – Colby Cox
- Taprooms – Melissa Romano & Betty Bollas
- Technical –Jason Perkins & Larry Horwitz
The board of directors guides the strategic direction of the Brewers Association and governs the activities of the professional division of the BA as well as the American Homebrewers Association, Brewers Publications, and events including the Great American Beer FestivalOpens and the Craft Brewers Conference& BrewExpo America.
“We thank those who have committed their time, knowledge, and experience to serving our membership,” said Bob Pease, president and CEO, Brewers Association. “I look forward to working alongside our new and longstanding directors to help our members of all sizes and business types adapt to new challenges and find new ways to thrive.”