Regardless of its hip, carefree persona, craft brewing is damn hard work, and any small (or big) solution that can help make the commercial process easier will be covered in the virtual pages of the CBB-cyclopedia. We recently dug up such a work-saving solution from the clever craftsmen at UNEX Mfg. Inc., a leader in providing “innovative order picking solutions” (a rather cool title).
The product is called the Pick-Plank. It’s a mechanical order picking device that affixes to a pallet and converts each pick slot from a static to a dynamic storage position, allowing all items on a pallet to be accessible from the aisle. The Pick-Plank is made of industrial steel and can hold up to 1,200 pounds. Once items in the front are picked, the worker unlocks the guide and easily slides the back half of the pallet to the front position, moving all products to the front of the aisle, making for a quicker and easier pick procedure. The Pick-Plank is great for case picking a less-than-full pallet by eliminating the need for the picker to have to reach or crawl into the storage position.
Beer companies can use it to help store beer cartons, kegs and outgoing product without having to bend down and pull from the back. Just check out this case study (it’s Monday, what else are you doing?).
“Prior to Pick-Plank, workers were required to work inside the storage structure, making them reach and bend to pick items, causing stress and strain on the picker’s body,” explained Brian Neuwirth, VP of sales and marketing at UNEX. “Because the picker doesn’t have to climb inside the storage structure to reach items at the back of the structure, picking rates are improved and vertical space between shelves in the storage unit is at a minimum, allowing you to save space within your warehouse.”
Roll Call: The features and benefits of the Pick-Plank Solution
- Retrofits to any standard GMA pallet so it easily installs on most pallets in your warehouse.
- Solid surface carrier allows typically un-conveyable items due to packaging, shape and size to be carried.
- Locking, self-contained pull bar stabilizes loads during transportation.
- Movable carrier allows the rear half of a load to move to the front, allowing workers to pick products more ergonomically with minimal reach. It eliminates the need for entry clearance and maximizes storage density.
- Roller bearing carrier slide pulls items forward with gentle force.