Air compressors have many applications in a craft brewery — from keg washing and assembly line processes to bottling beer and plain old power tools. Ingersoll Rand (IR) is a famous brand that has been manufacturing compressors since the 1800s. It’s had a keen eye on the craft brewing market for a while, and it touts tailored solutions for a brewery’s many and varied processes. The company just released two new air compressors for light commercial businesses like small breweries — both with energy and efficiency in mind.
The RS11-22kW and RS15-22kW are the first compressors in the Next Generation R-Series. The RS15-22kW unit includes premium features like a fixed-speed or variable speed drive (VSD) motor, which allows the unit to operate at different speeds for different products and industrial processes. Of course when it comes to compressors, it’s all about the airend, right? Well the RS15-22kW debuts a brand-new IR airend design that produces 20 percent more airflow compared to previous Ingersoll Rand compressors. That means big energy savings. The RS11-22kW on the other hand houses a redesigned cooling system to increases energy efficiency up to 12 percent compared to those legacy UP6 compressors. To the press release!
“The RS11-22kW and RS15-22kW compressors give smaller commercial businesses the efficiency and reliability of industrial-grade compressors, in a package that meets their unique needs around footprint and total cost of ownership,” said Kevin Kosobud, Contact Cooled Portfolio Leader, Ingersoll Rand.
Let’s dig into the systems and specs, shall we?
What was once an upgrade is now standard on the RS15-22kW ie and ne models
- The ne (VSD) unit is rated to operate efficiently in temperatures up to 115 degrees Fahrenheit.
- V-Shield technology enhances repeatability. Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) stainless steel-braided oil hoses and O-ring face seals mitigate the risk of oil leaks and pressure loss throughout the compressor system.
- RS15-22kW Total Air System (TAS) packages feature a three-phase dryer, which only requires one power input for the entire system. This saves the expense of a separate power line and simplifies setup. The dryer also has two power settings. The first mode runs continuously to ensure consistent, dry air. The on/off mode helps customers save energy costs based on air demand.
- RS15-22kW controllers have Progressive Adaptive Control (PAC). PAC is a unique algorithm that monitors key performance parameters to indicate when parts require maintenance or if temperatures reach the maximum temperature threshold. The controller automatically adjusts the equipment parameters to keep the machines running efficiently.
Manufacturers can customize compressors based on their unique requirements and operating conditions
- TAS: Both systems are available as TAS packages. TAS compressor packages include air treatment equipment inside the units which provide clean, dry air in an all-in-one package.
- Drain Valves: Customers that purchase RS11-22kW units will have a timer drain included. Electronic no-loss drain valves are available as an upgrade for RS15-22kW compressors. These components automatically drain water from a system.
- Outdoor Modification: Storing equipment indoors isn’t always an option for space-limited facilities. The outdoor modification option protects sensitive electric components from moisture and debris. With this rating, compressors can operate in temperatures between 35- and 115-degrees Fahrenheit.
- Low Ambient: When temperatures dip below-freezing it impacts system efficiency. The low ambient add-on feature includes internal heaters to prevent condensation from freezing.
- Cooling System: This innovative, free-floating system allows heat exchangers to expand and contract to reduce thermal stress. It also increases efficiency and system durability.
- Phase Monitor: The phase monitor prevents a compressor from starting up if it’s wired incorrectly, which protects the motor from crashing.
- Power Out Restart On (PORO): If a compressor loses power, operators can rest assured that their equipment will automatically turn back on with the previously-defined settings.
- CARE Service Programs: Ingersoll Rand offers a full suite of service programs that support Next Generation R-Series compressors. PartsCARE agreements provide customers with five years of additional coverage on their compressor’s airend. The program sends scheduled maintenance reminders and delivers genuine OEM parts to keep equipment running at peak efficiency.
- Both RS11-22kW and RS15-22kW units are available with a 120- or 240-gal air storage tank and include Xe-Series controllers.
Maybe you should just go check out all IR’s compressors. Impressive products for sure.