The Brewers Association, the not-for-profit trade association dedicated to small and independent American brewers, released two news items this week: 1) the launch of a new grant program to fund local and regional events that intentionally promote and foster a more diverse and inclusive craft beer community, 2) the addition of three new representatives to its 19-person board of directors.
Recognizing the need for increased inclusion both at the beer lover and brewery level, the Brewers Association has created programs designed to cultivate conversation and action around diversity and inclusivity in craft beer. Since the creation of its diversity committee in 2017, the Brewers Association hired J. Nikol Jackson-Beckham, Ph.D. as its diversity ambassador, launched a series of diversity and inclusion best practice resources for its members, and served as a sponsor of the 2018 Fresh Fest—the nation’s first black brew festival.
“The Brewers Association continues to take proactive steps to advance our members and the brewing community’s path of diversity and inclusivity,” said Julia Herz, craft beer program director, Brewers Association. “By helping to support these varied types of events, we can foster growth and spur a cultural shift when it comes to the beverage of beer. We look forward to reviewing the proposals and awarding the inaugural class of grant recipients.”
Funding priorities include events that increase access and awareness of craft beer to new demographics while cultivating an inclusive environment. These include: beer festivals; beer and food pairing events; agricultural fairs and celebrations; ethnic and cultural heritage festivals; neighborhood and community celebrations; entrepreneurship and innovation festivals; film festivals and more.
Grant applications will be accepted until March 15, 2019. For additional information on the Diversity and Inclusion Event Grants Program and guidelines, visit the Brewers Association website.
Meet the new board
“From regional craft brewers to two-barrel taprooms and everything in between, our members run the gamut in terms of size, scale, and business model,” said Bob Pease, president & CEO, Brewers Association. “The board reflects the breadth and evolving landscape of our membership and is here to ensure we’re meeting the needs of the craft brewing community. I look forward to working alongside both new and longstanding board members to achieve our objectives and priorities.”
The 2019 Brewers Association Board of Directors is made up of the following members:
- Chair – Eric Wallace, Left Hand Brewing Co., Longmont, Colo.
- Vice Chair – Dan Kleban, Maine Beer Co., Freeport, Maine
- Secretary/Treasurer – Larry Chase, Brewery in Planning, Talent, Ore.
- Past Chair – Rob Tod, Allagash Brewing Co., Portland, Maine
- Brewers Association President & CEO – Bob Pease
American Homebrewers Association Representative Board Members
- *Jill Marilley, Everett, Wash.
- Roxanne Westendorf, Cincinnati, Ohio
At-Large Board Members
- *Kevin Blodger, Union Craft Brewing, Baltimore, Md.
- Larry Chase, Brewery in Planning, Talent, Ore.
- Larry Horwitz, unaffiliated, Columbus, Ohio
- Jose Mallea, Biscayne Bay Brewing Co., Miami, Fla.
Brewpub Representative Board Members
- Tim Brady, Whetstone Station Restaurant & Brewery, Brattleboro, Vt.
- Sean Casey, Church Brew Works, Pittsburgh, Pa.
- *Leah Cheston, Right Proper Brewing Co., Washington, D.C.
- Cyrena Nouzille, Ladyface Ale Companie, Agoura Hills, Calif.
- Julie Verratti, Denizens Brewing Co., Silver Springs, Md.
Packaging Brewery Representative Board Members
- Leslie Henderson, Lazy Magnolia Brewing Co., Kiln, Miss.
- Steve Hindy, Brooklyn Brewery, Brooklyn, N.Y.
- Dan Kleban, Maine Beer Co., Freeport, Maine
- John Mallett, Bell’s Brewery, Inc., Galesburg, Mich.
- Garrett Marrero, Maui Brewing Co., Kihei, Hawaii
- Wynne Odell, Odell Brewing Co., Fort Collins, Colo.
- Rob Tod, Allagash Brewing Co., Portland, Maine
- Eric Wallace, Left Hand Brewing Co., Longmont, Colo.
- AHA Governing – Roxanne Westendorf
- Brewpub – Cyrena Nouzille
- Diversity – Julie Verratti
- Events – Leslie Henderson
- Executive – Eric Wallace
- Finance – Larry Chase
- Governance – Wynne Odell
- Government Affairs – Dan Kleban
- Market Development – Garrett Marrero
- Public Relations & Marketing – Steve Hindy
- Technical—John Mallett
(*indicates new to board in 2019)