Last week, Dust Bowl Brewing Co. officially opened its long-awaited satellite taproom in Monterey, Calif. Known as the Tap Depot, the taproom marks the growing craft brewery’s third location and the first outside of its local community of Turlock.
Dust Bowl’s Tap Depot is located in a historic building that was most recently known as the Wharf Marketplace. The location and history were part of the lure for Dust Bowl Brewing Co.
“The building was the original train depot that serviced the Monterey Bay until the early 1970s,” said Brett Tate, co-owner. “We love the tie to our branding, and, of course, John Steinbeck drew much of his inspiration from this region, which is another tie to our brand roots. We’re excited to open our doors to the Monterey community.”
The design plan
Dust Bowl Brewing Co. has completely transformed the aesthetic while maintaining all the historic character of the building. The inside is adorned with oversized prints from the Dust Bowl era coupled with many old photos from the early years in Monterey.
Exposed pipes, original concrete flooring and natural finishes pair beautifully with the well-appointed interior. The outdoor takes on a relaxed, coastal vibe with picnic tables, bench seating, communal fire pit, and outdoor games. The Tap Depot is situated on the Monterey Rec Trail making it an ideal place to take a break, grab a beer and enjoy good company.
“We created a space that’s social and comfortable. Beer is meant to be shared with others,” added Brett Honore, co-owner. “The Monterey location gives people a chance from outside our hometown to enjoy a huge line up of Dust Bowl beers on draft in a very cool setting.”
Founded in 2009, Dust Bowl Brewing Co. has distribution throughout California, Nevada and Oklahoma. The brewery is best known for its flagship IPA, Hops of Wrath, its easy-drinking Mexican lager known as Taco Truck and Therapist, an Imperial IPA. Dust Bowl Brewing Co. packages eight year-round styles, 24 specialty beers and an array of draft-only releases. The Tap Depot will offer all the core beers, the monthly specialties along with an innovative selection of taproom-only releases.
Monterey Tap Depot at a glance
- Address: 290 Figueroa Street, Monterey, CA 93940
- Telephone: 831-641-7002
- Hours: Open daily 11:00 AM – 11:00 PM
- Taps: 24 (22 Dust Bowl beers and 2 wines)
- Food: Offered by Wedo’s Tacos onsite food truck located in patio
- Interior features: bar seating, bar rail, lounge area featuring couches and swivel chairs, four televisions, retail sales of packaged beers, swag, growlers and Crowlers to-go (including online Crowler orders), 3,600 sq ft
- Outdoor features: communal fire pit, heaters, picnic tables, bench seating along full length of patio, steps from the Monterey Bay Coastal Recreation
- Trail, corn hole games, bike racks, protective fencing with glass views to the ocean, stage for live entertainment, 1,700 sq ft
- Employees: 13
- General Manager: Travis Pedretti
- Website: dustbowlbrewing.com