Each year, Deschutes Brewery dedicates $1 per barrel sold to charities throughout its distribution area to help fulfill a goal of building a healthier society. Giving back to charitable causes that focus on important issues like education, the environment, social services, and the arts has always been important to the brewery since it first opened its doors in 1988. Last year, total donations equaled $252,000, increasing to $285,000 in 2014.
It’s list of significant contributions is impressive for last year. Those included:
- Continuing the pledge to restore one billion gallons of water annually to the Deschutes River through the Deschutes River Conservancy’s water leasing program (2014 will mark the third year that this annual donation has been made).
- Major contributions to Bend Area Habitat for Humanity (helped build their 102nd home), The Center Foundation (childhood concussion outreach), Healing Reins (equine therapy for riders with special needs) and Deschutes Children’s Foundation (community of services for children and families).
- More than $100,000 to human services through organizations like the American Red Cross, American Cancer Society, Sparrow Clubs, and many more.
- More than $60,000 to environmental causes.
- More than $65,000 to youth and educational services.
At Deschutes Brewery, a cross-departmental team of passionate individuals helps to guide community giving for the company, carefully evaluating where donations can have the most impact. Employees are encouraged to participate through volunteerism each quarter.