The Dogfish Head Brewery in Milton, Del., had to be evacuated after a nitric acid tank started to leak. According to this report from Delaware Online, six workers were nearby when the 300-gallon tank started to spill, but none were harmed.
From Delaware Online:
To its credit, the Dogfish Head team was quick to respond both on the scene and in its social media/customer service arena to update any customers who might have been inconvenienced after the brewery was closed for the afternoon. From the Dogfish Head blog:
We had a small, contained spill of a cleaning chemical at the Milton brewery today. The good news is that there were no injuries, the situation is under control, and we’ve already begun cleanup. The bad news is that out of an abundance of caution and with some great guidance from our safety team, we evacuated the entire building – even though we had an afternoon of fully booked brewery tours and a Tasting Room packed with guests.
We would like to take the opportunity to thank the first responders from the Milton Fire & Police departments, the Delaware State Police local EMTs and DNREC for their prompt & professional response.
Accidents happen in a brewery, and the good news here is no one was injured. To end this post, we will take a moment to note those accidents that turned out, unfortunately, a little differently. Safe brewing, everyone.