WHAT: Green Flash celebrates the official Grand Opening of their new east coast operations hub on Nov. 13 in Virginia Beach.
WAIT, WHAT EXACTLY: Green Flash co-founders Mike and Lisa Hinkley will be joined by Virginia Beach Mayor William D. Sessoms Jr. and Virginia Beach Economic Development Director Warren D. Harris at the official grand opening event of the craft brewery’s new location in Virginia Beach. This official grand opening ceremony will feature a commemorative cask tapping and ceremonious fly-over by a retired military plane.
In addition to the opening ceremony, the event will offer visitors a sampling of the beer and experiential event programming Green Flash will be offering at its new East Coast brewing facility and tasting room.
The Virginia Beach Development Authority provided an Economic Development Incentive Program grant in the amount of $275,000 to Green Flash in 2013 based on the number of jobs created in the city. The $20 million facility includes a 58,000-square-foot Green Flash brewery, family friendly tasting room with 30 Green Flash beers on tap, a beer garden, food trucks, retail store and private-event room and garden at the corner of General Booth Blvd. and Corporate Landing. The grand opening marks the next chapter for Green Flash, the 45th largest craft brewery in the United States, poising the brewery for continued national growth.
WHERE: Green Flash Brewing Co., 1209 Craft Lane, Virginia Beach, Va
WHEN: Sunday, Nov. 13, 12-8 p.m.
Grand Opening Event Details and Timeline:
- Doors open at noon
- Commemorative Green Flash glass for first 100 people
- Full menu of Green Flash and Alpine beers available in the tasting room on draft
- Green Flash can station outside — Koozie with can purchase (while supplies last)
- Opening Ceremony outside stage
- Mike and Lisa Hinkley
- Warren D. Harris, Director of Virginia Beach Economic Development
- Virginia Beach Mayor William D. Sessoms, Jr.
- Group will gather for grand opening remarks, photo opportunity
- They will raise a glass to toast with the crowd after the inaugural cask tapping.
- There will be a ceremonious flyover from a retired military plane
Explore Our Craft: 1 p.m. – 5 p.m.
Offering a taste of the types of event programming to come, Green Flash will host an all-day rotation of educational experiences called, “Behind the Craft” in the Event Room (located adjacent to the tasting room), which will feature in-depth classroom style seminars all day on craft food and beer, as well as an opportunity for guests to get to know the Green Flash brewing team. FREE. First Come, First Served. Limited to 50 per session. Times are subject to change:
- 1 p.m.: Oyster Shucking with Amanda Jackson, Oyster Farmer producing York River Oysters from Oysters Rock — https://oystersrock.com/
- 4 p.m.: Cheese and beer pairing 101 with Dave Adams, Green Flash Director of Beer Education
- 2 p.m. and 5 p.m.: Meet the Brewers Q&A with Brewmaster — Erik Jensen, head brewer for Virginia Beach, Evan Chamberlain and Virginia Beach brewer Garrett Numbers
All day activities
Live music will be on stage in the beer garden. With more acts to be announced, the Grand Opening day lineup will feature popular bands:
Food available all day from local food vendors:
Additional FUN at the new brewery:
- Photo opps
- Games — indoor and out
- Growler fills — grab your favorite Green Flash beer to go!
HOW: Admission is free, Use Green Flash parking lot, family friendly and kids are welcome