The Michigan Brewers Guild, in partnership with the Michigan Department of Agricultural and Rural Development, is presenting a series of free seminars this fall throughout the state geared toward effective draft line system cleaning and maintenance. Any brewery, microbrewery, brewpub or retail establishment serving draft beer (including front line staff, managers and owners) is encouraged to attend one of these sessions and get their program certified as managers of quality draft beer delivery systems.
The 2.5-hour seminars will focus on four key areas:
- Knowing your site’s draft system (equipment and design)
- Proper draft beer storage and service
- Cleaning and maintaining a safe and sanitary draft beer delivery system
- Troubleshooting your site’s draft system
Upon completion of the seminar, each attendee will also receive a copy of the Brewers Association Draught Beer Quality Manual as well as certification that they are trained in proper management, sanitation and quality of draft beer delivery systems.
The seminars are being facilitated by Garry Boyd, a long-time member of the local craft beer community. Garry’s last adventure was as the VP of Food, Beverage & Cultural Innovation at BaryFly Ventures (the parent company for HopCat, Stella’s Lounge and Grand Rapids Brewing Company). During his 10 years with BaryFly, he oversaw all food and beverage menu development, including the expansive beer program as well as the sustainability and charity initiatives for the company’s brands. From 2016 until 2019, Garry served on the board of the Michigan Brewers Guild where he chaired both the Sustainability and Quality committees.
While there is no charge to attend the seminars, pre-registration is required through the official Eventbrite channel. Upcoming dates include:
- Thursday, September 5 (6-8:30pm) @ Barrel + Beam, Marquette
- Friday, September 6 (10am-12:30pm) @ Barrel + Beam, Marquette
- Monday, September 9 (6-8:30pm) @ Lansing Brewing Company, Lansing
- Tuesday, September 10 (11am-1:30pm) @ Lansing Brewing Company, Lansing
- Monday, September 16 (6-8:30pm) @ New Holland Brewing Company – The Knickerbocker, Grand Rapids
- Tuesday, September 17 (11am-1:30pm) @ New Holland Brewing Company – The Knickerbocker, Grand Rapids
- Monday, September 23 (6-8:30pm) @ Arbor Brewing Co. Microbrewery (a.k.a. Corner Brewery), Ypsilanti
- Tuesday, September 24 (12-2:30pm) @ Arbor Brewing Co. Microbrewery (a.k.a. Corner Brewery), Ypsilanti
- Tuesday, October 1 (6-8:30pm) @ The Loving Touch, Ferndale
- Tuesday, October 8 (6-8:30pm) @ Lake Charlevoix Brewing Company, Charlevoix
- Wednesday, October 9 (11am-1:30pm) @ Lake Charlevoix Brewing Company, Charlevoix
- Tuesday, October 15 (6-8:30pm) @ Founders Brewing Company, Grand Rapids
- Wednesday, October 16 (11am-1:30pm) @ Founders Brewing Company, Grand Rapids
- Wednesday, October 23 (6-8:30pm) @ Founders Brewing Company, Detroit
- Thursday, October 24 (11am-1:30pm) @ Founders Brewing Company, Detroit
As additional events are scheduled this fall, they’ll be posted on the Guild’s Facebook events page.