More beer pros are out of jobs. The Press Democrat, the biggest paper in San Fran’s North Bay area, where Petaluma, Calif.-based Lagunitas Brewing Co. resides, ran a story yesterday detailing a big layoff of about 100 employees (12 percent of its 900 employees). Industry shakeup. Corporate streamlining. Bad business decisions. New directions. Whatever it is, the biggest beer companies both in the world and in the U.S. craft world are shedding employees this year. Here’s a shortlist.
- Constellation’s Ballast Point Brewing Co. laid off 60 employees
- Anheuser-Busch laid off 380 employees from its craft, imports High End division
- MillerCoors announced plans to cut 350 salaried jobs in September
- In January, Pabst Brewing Co. eliminated 70 positions
- New Belgium Brewing laid off 28 full time employees in February
- Green Flash Brewing cut 33 workers earlier this year, along with announcing it would abandon its newly-minted East Coast hub and distribution
For more on the Lagunitas layoffs, read this excellent summary from Bryan Roth right over here.