Everyone’s favorite trade association dedicated to small and independent American brewers, the Brewers Association (BA), announced its 2023 board of directors, with two new representatives joining the 21-person board.
The directors gathered in Boulder, Colo., February 15-16 for the first of its regular quarterly meetings. Garrett Marrero, CEO and co-founder Craft ‘Ohana (Kihei, Hawaii), started his second term as board chair. Marrero has served on the board since 2016. Marrero thanked outgoing board member Sara Nelson, Fremont Brewing Co. (Seattle, Wash.), for her three years of leadership, dedication, and service.
“I’m honored to begin my second year as chair and excited to work alongside these 20 outstanding brewers who have committed their time, knowledge, and experience to serving the craft brewing community,” said Marrero. “Aloha to our incoming new board members and to those who’ve moved on, we have our work cut out for us, but I couldn’t be more excited to work with this amazing group of diverse individuals to protect and promote America’s craft brewers!”
Here are some of the comings and goings:
New board member Mitch Steele, co-founder, New Realm Brewing Company (Atlanta, Ga.), and incumbent board member Jason Perkins, brewmaster and vice president of operations Allagash Brewing Company (Portland, Maine), were elected as Packaging Brewery representatives.
Incumbent board members Jason Lavery, president and founding brewer, Lavery Brewing Company (Erie, Pa.), and Kris Spaulding, owner, Brewery Vivant (Grand Rapids, Mich.), were re-elected as Brewpub representatives.
Incumbent board member Melissa Romano, co-founder and co-owner, Lake Anne Brew House (Reston, Va.), was re-elected as a Taproom Brewery representative. The incoming directors will each serve a three-year term.
Colby Cox, founder, Pure Madness Brewing Company (Jackson, Wyo.), and Tim Brady, co-founder, Whetstone Beer Company (Brattleboro, Vt.), were appointed by the board to fill two at-large seats and will each serve a two-year term.
Additionally, the American Homebrewers Association (AHA) Governing Committee appointed Shawna Cormier of Burien, Wash., to fill one of its two seats on the Brewers Association board. Cormier will serve a two-year term.
And now the full list …
- Chair – Garrett Marrero, Maui Brewing Co., Kihei, Hawaii
- Vice Chair – Leah Cheston, Right Proper Brewing Co., Washington, D.C.
- Secretary & Treasurer – Peter Skrbek, Deschutes Brewery, Bend, Ore.
- Past Chair – Dan Kleban, Maine Beer Co., Freeport, Maine
- Brewers Association President & CEO – Bob Pease
Packaging Brewers Representative Board Members
- Tomme Arthur, Port Brewing Co. and The Lost Abbey, San Marcos, Calif.
- Chris Herron, Creature Comforts Brewing Co., Athens, Ga.
- Dan Kleban, Maine Beer Co., Freeport, Maine
- Garrett Marrero, Maui Brewing Co., Kihei, Hawaii
- Virginia Morrison, Second Chance Beer Co., San Diego, Calif.
- Jason Perkins, Allagash Brewing Co., Portland, Maine
- *Mitch Steele, New Realm Brewing Co., Atlanta, Ga.
Pub Brewers Representative Board Members
Marcus Baskerville, Weathered Souls Brewing Co., San Antonio, Texas
Leah Cheston, Right Proper Brewing Co., Washington, D.C.
Jason Lavery, Lavery Brewing Co., Erie, Pa.
Kris Spaulding, Brewery Vivant, Grand Rapids, Mich.
Taproom Brewers Representative Board Members
Betty Bollas, Fibonacci Brewing Co., Cincinnati, Ohio
Holly Redding, Winchester Brew Works, Winchester, Va.
Melissa Romano, Lake Anne Brewhouse, Reston, Va.
At-Large Board Members
Tim Brady, Whetstone Beer Co., Brattleboro, Vt.
Pamela Brulotte, Icicle Brewing Co., Leavenworth, Wash.
Colby Cox, Roadhouse Brewing Co., Jackson, Wyo.
Fred Matt, Saranac Brewery/Matt Brewing Co., Utica, N.Y.
Peter Skrbek, Deschutes Brewery, Bend, Ore.
American Homebrewers Association Representative Board Members
*Shawna Cormier, Burien, Wash.
Roxanne Westendorf, Cincinnati, Ohio
- AHA Governing – Shawna Cormier
- Brewpubs – Jason Lavery & Kris Spaulding
- Diversity, Equity & Inclusion – Virginia Morrison
- Events – Tim Brady
- Executive – Garrett Marrero
- Finance – Peter Skrbek
- Governance – Roxanne Westendorf
- Government Affairs – Garrett Marrero
- Market Development – Fred Matt
- Public Relations & Marketing – Colby Cox & Fred Matt
- Taprooms – Melissa Romano & Holly Redding
- Technical – Jason Perkins & Kris Spaulding