Goodbye Nevin’s Brewing Co. and hello Nevin’s Draft Co. The Plainfield, Ill.-brewery has rebranded and is launching a new signature craft beer brand, Midnight Pig, which will be distributed across the Chicago-land area. Created by Arcadian Partners, Sonas Hospitality Co. is the overarching management and operations company of several restaurant brands, including Nevin’s, Pete Miller’s Steakhouse, The Kerry Piper and Muldoon’s Irish Pub.
In a nod to the prohibition era, the name “Midnight Pig,” inspired by speak easies, bootleggers and moonshiners, credits the “pig,” which was a vessel used to carry alcohol surreptitiously during this time.
“With Midnight Pig, we are celebrating the history of brewing by acknowledging it’s infamous past; a lurid cast of characters and tales narrated from moonlit roads, back alleys and speakeasies. This renowned era arose from the ingenuity of a few. Indeed, we’re talking about the innovators and the innovations that sowed the seeds for this notorious time — from inventive recipes to brewing techniques, packaging ideas and reimagined transport move goods quickly,” said Ed Carrella, CEO of Sonas Hospitality. “It’s in this same spirit of determined ingenuity and innovation that we find our source of inspiration. We love the process of creating something new, and better yet, doing it sustainably. It drives our noble purpose. It’s about creating something seriously great, without taking ourselves too seriously, because what we do best should speak on its own.”
Honoring its namesake, Midnight Pig launched nationally online, in bars and restaurants across the Chicagoland area, various retail locations on Dec. 5 with the following new beers:
- Apocalyptinator: Nevin’s Brewing’s 2016 Great American Beer Fest medal winner is a German-style Dopplebock with a big blast of caramel, chocolate and toasted toffee.
- Hook & Hatchet: Nevin’s Brewing’s interpretation of a Vienna-style lager in which a variety of high kilned, crystal and roasted malts are used to produce this copper hued, pretzely, malty, with a hint of caramel, brew.
- Shamefaced: Nevin’s Brewing’s pilsner is brewed with 100 precent German pilsner malt along with Mandarina Bavaria hops. Their take on the pilsner is that it should feature the flavors and aromatics of the hop with very little bitterness. Mandarina Bavaria hops add a fresh, crisp orange citrus note that makes this beer highly drinkable and delicious.
- Snitches get Stitches: Nevin’s Brewing teamed up with good friends in the Spent Grain Society homebrew club to brew this delicious Robust Porter. Chocolate, roast and a hint of dark caramel make this beer amazing.
- Tumultuous: Nevin’s Brewing’s double dry hopped Imperial IPA with copious amounts of Centennial, Cascade, Chinook and Styrian Wolfe hops. Look for aromatics of pineapple, citrus and pine followed by a full bodied and well balanced drinking experience.
- Pinched: An IPA stuffed with a ton of hops. Toasted malty notes balance out the tremendous citrus and piney aromatics, but it’s not overbearing on bitterness.