Quick question: Do you think your amateur beer recipe has what it takes to be the next great homebrew? If your answer is yes, then maybe the Hop Idol Homebrew Contest from the award-winning beer makers of Reuben’s Brews is right for you (it’s open to everyone in the United States).
“Homebrewing is where it started for us,” said Adam Robbings, co-founder and head brewer of Seattle’s Reuben’s Brews. “Homebrewing competitions gave me the confidence to take a chance at opening a brewery. We’ve wanted to start a competition like this for some time as a way to try new beers, support the homebrew community, all while having a lot of fun!”
The winner will receive $250 and get to brew their beer with the Reuben’s Brews team at their brewery in Seattle’s Ballard neighborhood. The finished brew will be available on tap in the Reuben’s taproom and see some distribution around the Pacific Northwest. It is also planned to be entered in the Pro-Am category at one of the most prestigious beer competitions in the country — the Great American Beer Festival (GABF).
How will they choose a winning beer? Like a former reality show with a similar name, the judging will be led by a Brit with a high standard of excellence — U.K native Robbings.
“This will be a Beer Judge Certification Program [BJCP] certified homebrew competition,” said Robbings. “All entries will be judged against the BJCP style guidelines, focusing on hoppy styles. We love hoppy beers and think it will be fun to focus on that category!”
Here are a few of the basic rules for entry:
- Contestants may submit up to five different beers. Entry forms and recipes are required for each submission.
- There is a $5 entry fee for each beer submitted. Make checks payable to “Reuben’s Brews LLC.”
- All entry fees will be donated to Seattle Children’s Hospital.
- Beers must be submitted between Monday, January 16 and Thursday, January 19, 2017. Late entries cannot be accepted.
- The competition judging will be held on Saturday, January 21 and may continue through Saturday, January 28. We anticipate naming the winner on Monday, January 30.Read the complete list of contest details and rules right here.