The Oregon Beverage Recycling Cooperative (OBRC) has been administering a refillable bottle program for quite awhile. I did a story last year about the seven state craft breweries that it was working with at the time. In continuing cool news, last week it was announced that five craft beverage makers in Oregon’s craft beverage industry will come together at the premier event space Function in NW Portland for 10 days of bottle releases, specialty draft options and education about sustainable packaging — specifically with a focus on OBRC’s BottleDrop’s Refillable Bottle Program. To the press release!
“We’re more than thrilled to host these five influential and innovative beverage makers,” said Casey Armstrong, owner of Function. “Watching the beverage industry continue to innovate from a product standpoint is exciting, but seeing select producers change the landscape of sustainability in the industry is truly remarkable and we couldn’t be happier to host this event.”
BottleDrop Refillable bottles are unique glass bottles that can be washed and refilled up to 25 times, making them one of the most sustainable package for craft beverages. The bottles are made locally from recycled glass and are exclusive to the state of Oregon. Each bottle is marked with “BottleDrop Refillable” on the glass as well as the label to make it easy for the consumer to recognize. Once washed and thoroughly inspected, the bottles are re-distributed back to the participating beverage producers.
- January 17th — Big Kick-off night with all five beverage makers
- January 18th — Hang-out with the team from Coopers Hall Winery
- January 19th — Bingo Night!
- January 20th — Hang-out with the team from Double Mountain Brewery
- January 21st — Trivia Night!
- January 22nd — Hang-out with the team from Worthy Brewing
- January 23rd — Buoy Beer Baltic Porter bottle release PARTY!
- January 24th — Gigantic Shake & Shimmy IPA release + tasting of Gigantic’s MASSIVE! Barleywine Barrel-aged varietals
- January 25th — A toast to the judges of the Oregon Beer Awards
- January 26th — Closing night party!
“There’s a lot of interest in recycling right now,” said Joel Schoening from BottleDrop. “People are asking a lot of questions about packaging and recycling. This event is a great opportunity to enjoy recent releases from great beverage makers, chat with them about why they joined one of the most innovative and sustainable beverage packaging programs in the country, and learn how you can make a difference with BottleDrop Refillables.”
Stop by Function January 17-26 from 2 p.m. to close and learn why five of Oregon’s premier beverage makers are using refillable bottles.