The Brewers of Pennsylvania (BOP), the state’s official beer guild, hosted Senator Maria Collett at the latest Brewer For A Day event held at Tannery Run Brew Works on July 15, 2019. This was the BOP’s 16th successful Brewer For A Day event, an initiative designed to give state legislators a hands-on, insider’s perspective on the brewing process, as well as further educate Pennsylvania Senators and Representatives on the direct economic impact craft brewers have on communities throughout the state.
Sen. Collett received an up-close brewing experience where she toured the brewery, helped mill grains, stirred the mash, and learned of the brewing process that helps Tannery Run produce some of Pennsylvania’s finest craft beers. The Senator also assisted in brewing The Senator SPLATCH, a brew consisting of one side Saison and other Blonde Ale. The method of split-batch brewing involves the same base ingredients being used to make at least two similar but distinctly different sister beers.
“On behalf of Tannery Run Brew Works, I would like to thank Senator Collett and her team, for taking the time out of their busy schedules to be Brewer For A Day on our four-month anniversary of being open for business,” said Carly Chelder, Co-Founder & CAO of Tannery Run. “We had fun, made and drank some beer, and discussed triple bottom line business, the importance of education and inclusion, community involvement, and environmental responsibility along the way.”
“The 12th district is home to some great local breweries, and the locally-and-woman-owned Tannery Run Brew Works is an excellent addition,” said Senator Collett. “I saw firsthand the passion and hard work that the Tannery Run brewers put into each batch, and I was lucky to take part in that process.”
Carly Chelder is a scholarship recipient of the The Pink Boots Society, an organization created to assist, inspire, and encourage women beer industry professionals to advance their careers through education.
Brewer For a Day history
The Brewer For A Day program was launched in 2016 on the heels of Pennsylvania Governor, Tom Wolf, signing a $1.3 billion revenue package. Part of that package included a Malt Beverage Tax Credit not to exceed $5 million annually. The tax credit, matching equipment and facilities investments made by applicant breweries, has been one of the BOP’s top legislative goals since 2013.
The BOP fully supports this tax credit measure, and considers it a major victory for all craft breweries in the Commonwealth, particularly smaller breweries as the benefits of the measure is capped at $200,000 per year, per brewery. From 2016 to current day, many BOP members have greatly benefited from the Malt Beverage Tax Credit.
Senator Collett took part in the sixteenth Brewer For A Day event. The BOP and its members will take advantage of the popularity of the Brewer For A Day program by hosting more events throughout 2019. Other legislators who have participated in the Brewer For A Day program include:
- Sen. John Rafferty, Pa. District 44 – Victory Brewing Company in Downingtown
- Rep. Kurt Masser, Pa. District 107 – Old Forge Brewing Company in Danville
- Sen. Sean Wiley, Pa District 49 – Lavery Brewing Company in Erie
- Rep. Harry Lewis, Pa. District 74 – Victory Brewing Company in Downingtown
- Rep. Adam Harris and Rep. Paul Costa – Victory Brewing Company in Parkesburg
- Rep. Mike Carroll, Pa. District 118, Sen. John Yudichak, Pa. District 14, and Rep. Aaron Kaufer, Pa. District 120 – Susquehanna Brewing Company in Pittston
- Rep. Dave Reed, Pa. District 62 – Levity Brewing Company in Indiana
- Rep. Tom Mehaffie, Pa. District 106 – Troegs Independent Brewing in Hershey
- Sen. Richard Alloway, Pa. District 33 – GearHouse Brewing Company in Chambersburg
- Sen. Chuck McIlhinney, Pa. District 10 – Weyerbacher Brewing Company in Easton
- Sen. John Gordner, Pa. District 27 – Berwick Brewing Company in Berwick
- Rep. Patty Kim, Pa. District 103 – Zeroday Brewing Company in Harrisburg
- Rep. Marguerite Quinn, Pa. District 143 – Round Guys Brewing Company in Lansdale
- Sen. Judy Schwank, Pa. District 11 – Chatty Monks Brewing Company in West Reading
- Rep. Edward Gainey, Pa. District 24 – East End Brewing in Pittsburgh
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.