HAAS continues to release both traditional and next generation hop products for craft brewers. In 2021, HAAS of course expanded its portfolio of whole cones and pellets with the likes of Nelson Sauvin (a powerfully aromatic hop with unique and surprising flavors, ranging from fruity white wine to tropical notes) and Idaho Gem (a “found” hop of unknown lineage with sweet, fruit-forward aromatic oils and a relatively high alpha). Last year, HAAS introduced Lupomax, a new concentrated lupulin pellet that delivers great hop flavors while reducing beer loss. Now there’s Incognito — an all-natural, flowable, hop product specifically designed to be used in the whirlpool — aimed at delivering the impactful, variety-specific flavor outcomes brewers want. From the press release:
“Incognito started simply as an innovative solution to vexing brewing process problem, namely the dramatic beer loss associated with brewing increasingly hop-forward beers. But it’s turned into an international success,” said Dr. Alex Byelashov, Vice President of Innovations at John I. Haas. “Incognito sales have increased beyond our expectations, not only because these flowable flavor hop products enhance brewing efficiency, but because they taste so true to type.”
“With the entire Incognito line in high demand, we knew it was the right time to add new Incognito choices. On that note, we are proud to introduce Incognito El Dorado, Incognito Centennial and Incognito Chinook as the newest members of the Incognito family, which now includes Incognito Citra HBC 394 c.v., Incognito Mosaic HBC 369 c.v., Incognito Ekuanot HBC 366 c.v., Incognito Sabro HBC 438 c.v., and Incognito HBC 472 c.v.”
This product is reminiscent of HAAS’s Flex Flowable Bitter Extract, a 100 percent all-natural hop product crafted to be pourable at room temperature and to provide brewing flexibility and improved brewhouse efficiency. “Flex is just like fresh-squeezed hops,” HAAS said two years ago when it released the product. Now, HAAS has announced the availability of three new Incognito varieties, Incognito El Dorado, Incognito Centennial and Incognito Chinook. Easy to ship, store and pour, Incognito also greatly reduces the amount of spent hops for disposal at the end of the brewing process, offering a sustainable, more environmentally friendly brewing outcome. Other benefits include:
- Get all the alpha acids and flavor compounds of hops without the vegetative material, for maximized efficiency and greater yield.
- Incognito is pure hops, so it blends perfectly with pellets, whole hops and other or Incognito varieties for wonderfully complex flavors.
- Incognito comes in 2- and 10-kg recyclable plastic bottles that have less shipping and storage costs, compared to pellets.
- Incognito Citra, Incognito Mosaic, Incognito Ekuanot, Incognito Sabro and Incognito HBC 472 c.v. deliver the same, consistent flavor profiles as pellets. There’s no need to pre-heat or to use special equipment. It’s easy to pour and offers great solubility in hot wort, so it’s easy to use.
- Incognito’s flowability and solubility makes cleanup a breeze, with less wastewater effluent for lower BOD and COD.